Today Miss Robertson's Mum Ms Robertson, came in today and told us a short story about her journey from Samoa to New Zealand. Ms Robertson told us what she did in Samoa to get to New Zealand, Ms Robertson had to do a Interview in Samoa to get into New Zealand. The challenges she faced was speaking in English, and also she had to make new friends because she knew no one in New Zealand.
1. How many years has Ms Robertson been in NZ ? (think about what year she arrived in NZ) 1962 - 2017 she was 18 and a half years old
65 years - 73 years old
2. What sort of work did she do when she first arrived in NZ ?
She first worked at the Hospital when she arrived in New Zealand.
3. What do you remember about how Mrs Robertson was brought up by her parents ?
Had working parents, She got hidings if she didn’t do what she was told.
4. What was the main reason why Mrs Robertson was sent to NZ ?
Her dad wanted to build a pakeha house, he was thinking of his grand children overseas to come back to samoa.
5, What did she do with her first Pay packet ?
She sent it home, back to samoa. To help her family.
6.What things did she need help with when she first came to NZ ?
Her language because she couldn’t speak english.
She had to ask a lot of questions because she didn’t understand what other people were saying, but she carried on.
7. What did you enjoy or find most interesting about Mrs Robertson story ?
How she didn’t know how to speak english, but she learnt in her own ways. She helped her family back in samoa by sending money back to her family so they could build the house.
8. What did you learn from listening to Mrs Robertson story ? (Is there anything about her story that made you think about your own life - that you can relate to ? any advice ...)
I learnt that you can do anything if you try and be encouraged by others, you will reach your goal, and you will get the job you want, you just need to work hard. She wanted her children to come back to New Zealand because they learnt a lot in New Zealand, she educated her kids, so they could get a better job.